Monday, July 1, 2013

Sorry it's been a while!

First baptism on the mission as of 6/22/13! Richard (the investigator) was practically glowing with excitement and purity. :) It was a really special time for his brother Don and his family who are members of the ward because he had been the only member in his family for 32 years. Now he has a brother in the gospel and his family has been coming together on both sides of the veil (Don has been doing a lot of vicarious work for his deceased immediate family and other close relatives). That's really what it's all about!
 
The weird part was that a lot of people were congratulating me and Hermana Snow. It felt really odd to us because we couldn't take the credit. I've definitely learned that missionary work is a spectator sport. Yes, we work our hardest, but in the end the Spirit is the one that makes things happen. Just as Christ said, "Thy will be done and the glory be thine forever". I know how it feels to be an instrument of the Lord and it's great! It sounds odd, but I love working my hardest, being lifted beyond my own abilities and not being able to say it was solely my accomplishment. I work better that way when I don't get all the credit. It reminds me of a TED talk about creativity by the author of "Eat Pray Love" (I forget her name). It's about how we "have a genius" instead of actually being "geniuses". Highly recommended. Look it up.
 
As for what made me smile, there have been many things. But I thought you'd really appreciate some Ragamuffins (see photo). We work at a food bank every week to do service and I found this box of muffin mix that expired in 1989. Oh, and I got to go wading in the baptismal font. Don't get any sacrilegious ideas. ;) After Richard's baptism, we were cleaning up and we had the hardest time pulling out the drain for the font. It just wasn't budging. So we sisters had to wade in there (it was knee deep) since we had skirts on and try to get at the plug. I finally got it out, but soaked half my skirt in the process. It was great fun. :) 
Oh, and a kind old southern man gave us a tiny Gideon bible. But we gave him a Book of Mormon so it's all good. :)
 
Oh, and we have transfers this wednesday! I'm staying here in Denton and my new companion is going to be my MTC companion, Hermana Hunter, who I love and adore! Yay! Hermana Snow is going to Lewisville. The crazy part: She's going to be a sister trainer (female equivalent of zone leader), starting a new area (first sisters in an area) and training a new sister, as well as a visa-waiter, who is temporarily called to serve here while waiting for the visa to go somewhere else. Yeah. I think any responsibility she could possibly have was given to her all at once... Yep. I'm praying for her every day.



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment