Monday, March 11, 2013

Seeing people as Christ does

I don't have much time, but I definitely need to share this.

I had an awesome experience a couple days ago. After my second meeting with Carlos, a new "investigator", I was seriously frustrated. After my companion and I left, I was very close to coming back and telling him if he didn't want to listen to us, we're not coming back. Carlos is the quintessential apathetic teenager. He told us that he was only listening to us because his family (all recent converts except for Dad) was pressuring him to. It was hard to get past that. I hardly ever get angry at people unless they decide to be be stupid or ignorant, or decide not to listen before even hearing the message. After stewing on that for a while, I started praying to know how to help him, and to help me get past that first impression of him. The next day in class, we were reading from the Book of Mormon as a district. It was the first couple chapters of 1 Nephi. I came across 1 Nephi 2:12. It was about Laman and Lemuel who murmured because they "knew not the dealings of the Lord". Something clicked in my mind. In the study time after that, I kept finding one scripture after another and a few questions came to my mind to ask Carlos at the next lesson. Thanks to the Holy Ghost, Carlos is a beloved son of God to help and serve, not an annoying kid I don't want anything to do with. I'm really amazed that Heavenly Father can work through me that way. I'm excited for when I can serve people that way in Texas!



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment